Wampatown.com...come for the Star Wars, Stay for the community

Sith symbols different meanings?

Discussion of Star Wars novels, comics, and the universe beyond the movies

Moderators: Delta73, handofthrawn

Sith symbols different meanings?

Postby morganax » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:20 am

hi, obviously I am new here and I am sorry to start a new thread but didn't know where else to ask my question.

I am wondering if someone can explain the difference in the 2 Sith symbols.

The one that is on Naga Sadow's forehead I think is the symbol for the Old Sith Empire.

I am confused on what the one that looks like a sun burst represents in the Sith? I believe I have seen it used as avatars here on this board.

I am trying to get tattoos for the Jedi order and the Sith order, and I need to make sure I am using the right Sith symbol.

thanks so much....I am just beginning to explore the EU of SW so I am still very green on things

[/img]
morganax
Padawan

Postby handofthrawn » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:35 pm

This is the symbol of the Sith Order as I know it:

If you look around, though, there are a few other symbols associated with the Sith Order, such as the following:

Click Here -- this one's too big to post outright

And here's another--supposedly the oldest one:

This one's also quite large.

Various sources label them as relatively current or old, but it's the top one that's most familiar to me, and if I were going to get a tatoo to represent the Sith Order, it'd be that symbol. For the Jedi I'd get this one.

I hope this helps.
handofthrawn
Administrator

Postby Darth_Yelsew » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:57 am

I'm just about to get my Star Wars tattoo, I've gone for a red Mythosaur Skull, ala Boba, on the inside of my left forearm.(My shoulder is already covered) I'm also thinking about Cade Skywalkers Bloody Bones on the inside wrist of the same arm...

Of the Sith signs posted above i quite like the 3rd.
Darth_Yelsew
Padawan

Postby morganax » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:33 am

Thank you so much handof thrawn!
That is exactly the Jedi order symbol that I plan on getting.
The Sith ones......the first one you showed, that is the one that I have become most familiar with to represent the order.

The second one that is the red/orange burst, that is the one that I have seen more of but so far haven't found an explanation for it. I have seen it on the toys. The Evolution series that they have out....it is a Sith one and the symbol on the box is this one.

That is why I was confused. I really feel that the first one is the one to get, but with a tattoo you have to make sure! :)

Thanks so much for your help!!

Of the Sith signs posted above i quite like the 3rd.

Yeah, the third one is cool, but I thought that one was more of a symbol for one of the Sith tribes more than the Sith as a whole. I could be way off though. For me, it is a tad bit too tribal. Cool about your tats....the forearms are where I am getting mine.
morganax
Padawan

Postby handofthrawn » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:29 am

Yeah, I think the third one more represented one of the groups of Sith as in the species. I think the second one (the sun burst thing) is trying to become the new official Sith symbol, but, like I said, the old one is more iconic and established, at least in my mind.
handofthrawn
Administrator

Postby Dagmire » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:44 am

Here those ones posted smaller, and another one I found which is labeled as Old Sith Empire though...

"Dagmire... Servant of the Force. Seeker of Yoda. Levitator of Rocks. Ignorer of Advice. Incapable of Impossible. Reckless is he."

Member of the Jedi.Net Book Club since 6/17/2005.
Dagmire
Sith Apprentice

Postby morganax » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:16 am

thanks for posting all of those....I think I have come to the first two....I still can't decide which one would be best.

I am thinking the first one....agh....sometimes it sucks being female! Can't decide for nothing!
morganax
Padawan

Postby Dagmire » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:31 am

I think HoT was right... if you want to go with the most recognized Sith symbol, then the first one would be your best bet. Are going to get it colored, or just keep it in black? I like how the last picture is outlined in black... makes it look sharp. But then again, you might not want an orange tattoo. Dark grey outlined with black would be cool.
"Dagmire... Servant of the Force. Seeker of Yoda. Levitator of Rocks. Ignorer of Advice. Incapable of Impossible. Reckless is he."

Member of the Jedi.Net Book Club since 6/17/2005.
Dagmire
Sith Apprentice

Postby morganax » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:33 am

Yeah, I think the first one is the one I will go with....

I was just going to go with black because that is the color I have seen for the symbol has always been that color. The outline idea is a good one.
morganax
Padawan

Return to Expanded Universe